Camp BUCKO provides an opportunity for children recovering from burn injuries to meet other children who share similar feelings and experiences in a camp environment. Camp gives these children temporary freedom from the everyday frustrations of being burned, a chance to share their stories and to bond with each other. Most of all though camp is a place to have fun and learn new things. It is a benefit for children in these circumstances to attend a program such as this to build self-esteem to cope with life beyond their burn injury.
Camp BUCKO Mission Statement
Camp BUCKO is a fun, safe and caring camp program free to kids ages 7 to 17 with burn injuries. Our residential setting encourages campers to participate in a variety of social, recreational and therapeutic activities that promote self-esteem, the development of leadership skills and fosters personal growth. At Camp BUCKO, kids have a place where they can be themselves without feeling different or alone.
Camp Aims and Goals
- to have a fun filled outdoor adventure
- to create a sense of community by providing a place where campers can learn about themselves and others with similar experiences
- to introduce campers to dynamic role models by including adult burn survivors as Camp BUCKO volunteers
- to promote each child’s unique abilities and strengths as steps in enhancing self acceptance
- to promote opportunities to learn about working in groups as well as in one-on-one interactions among peers of the same and opposite sex
To access our Calling All Camper forms, please click on the following: PDF
This year’s theme for our dance is Dress to Impress! You can wear whatever makes you feel comfortable - i.e. clothing representing your favourite sports team, T-shirt and shorts, a uniform, a fancy dress, etc.